Search This Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Terms of Kitty Endearment

Goody goody gum drops.  I am now caught up and all of my previous blog is on Blogspot now.  I am live.  If you are tuning in for the first time, you may want to go to the last entry in September of 2010 and start reading up to now. The entries from now on would probably make more sense.

A gallery out in the Hill Country of Texas (Gallery At Spicewood) can get pretty lonely at times.  During the week, I can go two or three days without a single visitor.  Luckily, I have two permanent visitors, Roo and Squad Car, my trusty gallery cats.

They are always at the front door in the morning waiting to greet me with squeals, purrs, and lots of rubbing.  It is really great to always have someone waiting who is glad to see you. This is one of the reasons I look forward to going to work.  They entertain me, soothe me, make me happy, and best of all, they trust me.  They can count on me and I can count on them to lift my spirits. Let me talk about Squad Car first.

In the morning after I finish feeding, watering the cats and the plants, tidying up the gallery, putting out the open signs, lighting the candles and various other chores associated with running your own business, I sit down and put my feet up and plan the day.  This is where my little day-planner-helper shows up.  Squad Car jumps up on my chest, does a little gentle kneading and lays down on my chest trying to get comfortable.  When she gets into the position she wants, the purring starts, her breathing slows, and she goes to sleep.  A little black and white soul laying on my chest trusting me that nothing bad will happen to her.  To use a good old Texas phrase, "It don't get no better". 

We sit there for fifteen or twenty minutes mentally planning my day (paintings, computer, etc) and then I gently lift her off my chest, get up and gently put her back on the chair.  She briefly wakes up, licks a couple of ruffled spots on her coat, purrs a little, and goes back to sleep while I start my day. 

Talk about Zen moments.  Thank you Squad Car. 

Next, Roo and her Zen moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment